Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My desire has been to join Tuesdays With Dorie since I received my cookbook for Christmas (thank you Linda!). There's always something to keep you from beginning. I know I'm way behind, but I was determined to make this dessert. I finally bought a seasoned cast iron skillet from Walmart so that I could make the apple tart tartin. I found one for only $15.00! Yee-ha! I was also able to find the all butter puff pastry at Whole Foods. I bought two packages to keep some extra on hand. I was able to make this incredible dessert on Sunday evening. I've never worked with a cast iron skillet before and thought I'd preheat my pan. I turned off the burner and placed the stick of butter in the pan and watched it BURN! One stick down, and one to go! That worked out better, but then I became nervous that I would really burn my apples while trying to carmelize them, so I kept the heat pretty low. Getting that caramel color seemed to take a looong time.
Once achieving the right color, I popped it in the oven and baked accordingly. I could not find in my bakeware, the proper size platter and ended up using a ceramic cake pedestal. Right before having my husband flip out the tart, (that sucker was heavy!) I remembered seeing on line a picture of Dorie flipping hers out and all the juices that poured out! Thank God! We immediately flipped the tart over the sink. Within ten minutes, we were both enjoying an awesome dessert! I must confess, I ate three slices and the scale did not lie! It was so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment